Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Antichrist: The best horror film I've ever seen



Antichrist, A+
This is one of the most powerful and engaging films I’ve ever seen. I think it’s a film about depression. The story begins with the death of a man and a woman’s son, and then as a way to try and heal her grief they go to this woods area called “eden.” Essentially, the majority of the movie (the eden part) is a dreamy intensified view of depression, showing visually how one feels internally when they’re going through the roughest stages of grief. The whole Eden part is Trier exploring what “she,” Charlotte Gainsborgh’s character, was actually feeling at the very beginning. The film explicitly and disturbingly states the phases and results of depression. The fear, the feelings of helplessness. Most importantly, it discusses what depression does to those who try and help the grieving person. For the sake of not ruining the film for those who haven’t seen it I won’t substantiate my claims… Charlotte Gainsbourg gives possibly the best acting performance I’ve ever seen. If you’re not intrigued by this and don’t feel like you have to see it, then don’t. This is not for most people, and it is very hard to get through. I’m still not entirely sure how I feel about it because I’m sure it’ll run through my mind for the next month minimum but right now I’m ready to say it’s a near masterpiece that is a little too mysterious for its own good.

No comments:

Post a Comment