Sunday, April 10, 2011

Your Highness, a misfiring enjoyable comedy

 Your Highness, C

This will be a very brief review (filled with sighs and shrugs).

Your Highness is just plain okay. It’s enjoyable, but not engagingly satirical, as I’d hoped. It definitely didn’t feel like a cohesive piece, which is fine, I just have to admit I had higher expectations.

For full disclosure, I must admit I love the director David Gordon Green (George Washington, Pineapple Express), as well as the writer/star Danny McBride and the other stars James Franco (I don’t care if he wasn’t a good Oscar host, he’s the MAN), Zooey Deschanel, and of course the absolute best part of the movie Natalie Portman.


This movie brings back the Natalie Portman we saw in her SNL skit. She quite brilliantly riffs on the perception of purity the world seems to have of her, via playful but almost unsettling violence. I don’t really have anything else to say (remember, avoiding spoilers on this one), she just deserves her own paragraph because she made this movie for me.

On that note however, there really isn’t much to say. It was enjoyable, I did laugh, but it certainly didn’t engage my intellect. That really is all I have to say, pleasant indifference. Go if you like those actors, otherwise you’ll just be miserable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment